Wednesday, a federal prosecutor announced in court that the government estimates as many as 100 girls were subject to genital mutilation by Dr. Nagarwala.

As TGP previously reported, a Muslim physician was arrested Wednesday, April 14th and charged for mutilating genitalia of two 7 year old girls. A second Michigan doctor was also arrested a few days later for performing female genital mutilations on little girls.

  

Assistant U.S. Attorney Sara Woodward revealed the information in an attempt to convince the judge to “keep a doctor and his wife locked up”. The case involves serious allegations that two Minnesota girls were subject to genital mutilation at a “Livonia clinic” back in February as part of a “religious rite of passage” and were strictly instructed to keep the procedure a secret.

Detroit Free Press reports:

“Due to the secretive nature of this procedure, we are unlikely to ever know how many children were cut by Dr. (Jumana) Nagarwala,” Woodward said, referring to the lead defendant in the case,  later adding, “The Minnesota victims were not the first victims.”

. . .

The government believes the three defendants, all members of a local Indian-Muslim sect, subjected numerous girls to genital cutting procedures over a 12-year period. To date, the government says it has identified eight victims — including the two Minnesota girls — though Woodward said the government estimates there could be as many as 100 victims. She said that’s a conservative estimate, and that it’s based on on  Dr. Attar’s alleged admission to authorities that he let Nagarwala use his clinic up to six times a year to treat children for genital rashes.

Source link

Source: http://capitalisthq.com/bombshell-government-estimates-up-to-100-victims-of-female-genital-mutilation-in-michigan/

Advertisements